Week Eight 6/4

Blog Eight- 6/4/

This was our first class back after Easter and we spent some time to come back into our bodies so we just lay on the floor and focused on our breathing. We had freedom to move through our bodies, going into downward dog and table top, just finding different positions to stretch through our bodies and warm up.

We were given instructions in ways to move like leading with the elbow, keep the left foot on the floor, no use of arms & then legs. I find that this way moving really helps with finding different ways to move and thinking more about individual body parts and not the entire body. This also helps with working away from my habitual movement. I don’t feel any familiar movement in my body when I use this method.

This class felt very different in my body compared to the previous class, I was interested in finding new movement and different sensations in my body and not worrying about habitual movement because I wasn’t tempted to revert back to that type of movement. I need to work on exploring internalisation more as I find that it’s an interesting and new way of moving but I need to work into my body a bit more, in the final lesson I am going to try and think more about internalisation in my movement. A quote from Landscape of the Now “the audience offer an energetic platform to be inside of” (Spain, K, 2014) as the reason that the class felt different this week is because I wasn’t really focusing on anyone else’s body, just what movement I was creating, and therefore wasn’t really concentrating on who was watching me. This made a big difference in my movement as I didn’t feel as restricted or conscious, I was just working with the idea of accumulation and what I felt was interesting in my body despite how it appeared aesthetically.

We created our own scores from looking at underscores in an RSVP cycle.

2C74BB16-2C89-4F65-90FF-DE7E7B37C7C4 (1)

E23775E1-162B-4750-B064-38F8F54B8A75 0F46C2F2-9EC9-4DEA-BA24-639B427D09B8 B31582B6-A290-41F8-AE08-A58A8ECFD429 E5B57118-41A5-43CE-894B-58987D23EE3D DB229268-32A8-4F99-B430-9C6529A6A5CA A80F373B-503C-4915-88F0-F28FA7969D82

All bodies in the space, each of the different sections was done for two minutes. After one minute, we added a component to get different results.

Collision – with eyes shut & backwards blinking.

Contrast – change pace.

Idiot Button

Confluence – dynamics and thick skinning.

We then had to ask the dancers questions:

Because there was a different starting point each time, was it hard to stay away from habitual movement?

-Yes because it was fast paced and there were quick changes and not a of time to think or fully think about the instructions.

How did you find the score? Was it difficult to follow?

-It was quite confusing. Quite restricting with movement.

This feedback was useful as I enjoyed seeing the different bodies in the space and how they were reacting to our score. Even seeing some confusion and uncertainty in their movement and watching them work through it. The feedback section was interesting as there were reactions to the score that I didn’t notice by watching them and felt that it was interesting to hear how they felt about it.